Usain Bolt suffered a rare defeat over 100 metres at the Diamond League Meeting in Rome.

The Olympic champion was beaten into second place by Justin Gatlin - the American clocking 9.94 seconds to Bolt's 9.95. 

Despite a good start, the world record holder looked laboured and was uanble to pull away from the field, giving Gatlin the chance to edge a thrilling race.

However, Bolt refused to blame a hamstring injury which has held up his season.

"I didn't feel it at all during the race. It felt sore after, but that was expected. But it isn't a concern for me. I came into this race trying to figure out where I was. Now I need to go back and watch the tape to see where I went wrong and come back better next time."

Gatlin insisted that despite the defeat and injury problems, Bolt would still be the man to beat at August's world championships in Moscow.

He said: "It's an honour to be able to race him and compete against him these last couple of years - he's an inspiration for the sport.

"He's brought so much to the sport that wasn't there before. He's a legend, he's done great things, I just want to go out there and fight to the end."

JOIN US ON OUR BBM CHANNEL! >> C0022D0A4



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top